Custom Console OS Builds Initiave

Discussion in 'Other Console Open Source Work' started by Robert Crawford, Apr 21, 2016.

?

Do you want to help make Console OS available for all devices

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Possibly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Member Moderator

Is Console OS not working correctly, do you need a custom build?

I am working to debug Console OS for all devices, but I do not have access to all devices so I need your help. I have a build server and can run a build in three hours, If you want to participate then send me your device specific information, I will run a build for you to run on your device, then you send me feedback and any bugs and I will get them fixed.

This initiative will help open Console OS to more consumers and help make the correct builds available to the people who need it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. test0r

test0r Member

Who needs an old version of lollipop? Where is marshmallow? Where is the desktop enhanced version?

3. AdminTeam

AdminTeam Active Member Staff Member

Most commercial distributions of Android are running Lollipop still. There are major issues on Marshmallow in the Android-x86 kernel blocking stable releases.

Consistent with Intel's pullback from Android support, multi-window will be based on Nougat's support - assuming that Nougat will even ship on the Android-x86 kernel. With Intel suspending temporarily Android development... we have had to focus on hardware. It's the only way for us to keep things stable in the wake of Intel's pullback.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Member Moderator

test0r, I understand your frustration but please understand this is an FOSS effort and as such takes longer than if it were a closed OS such as OSX or Windows.

5. test0r

test0r Member

@Robert: Your can`t understand your argument with FOSS development. According to Git Hub there is no development for Console OS visible.

I don`t see your public repository for Rob-Bot OS.

Did you all stop development and where is the your community?

It is so silent here... You may have a look at Android-x86 or Jide for comparison.

6. Xelcior

Xelcior New Member

Funny. That isn't stopping Jide or Phoenix who use the same kernel. And they both have multiwindow already.

7. AdminTeam

Yes, and they're using an open-source framework that we tested. In the end, we have decided to embrace the AOSP framework that was experimental in Marshmallow, and exposed in Nougat. This will allow us to upgrade to future AOSP versions faster.

8. Xelcior

Xelcior New Member

Remix is now on marshmallow. Guess they weren't that major.

9. test0r

test0r Member

@Chris Price: Jide does not use an open source framwork like xposed. They developed their own framework, a proprietary one.

@ Xeclior: Great. Gonna download it now. I use a Teclast Tablet (Skylake) with Jide Lolipop on. Can`t wait to install the new version. Thank you for the tipp.

@Admin Team: When do you release your version. Do you have already a date?

10. AdminTeam

We aren't talking about Xposed. There is a GPLv2 muti-window framework that Phoenix and Remix share. It has been in use by the Android community since the original ASUS Transformer, back in the Android 4.1 era.

We expect to release Marshmallow this summer, and will share more news shortly. Our focus is on hardware right now, as mentioned, because of Intel's seismic changes to Android development - which will scale back support for most Intel CPUs.